State Criminal Defense
If you have been charged with a crime, you need an experienced attorney to protect your rights. With over 10 years of experience as a state and federal prosecutor, Benjamin J. Cheeks is able to provide you with superior representation. Mr. Cheeks will use his in-depth knowledge to help you obtain the best possible outcome. Mr. Cheeks handles a wide variety of criminal defense matters, including but not limited to:
- Homicide – Homicide charges can be brought in any situation where one person’s actions result in the death of another person. In California, murder cases are broken down into different categories depending on the circumstances surrounding the death. A person may be charged with:
- First Degree Murder – involves premeditation
- Second Degree Murder – loss of life without premeditation
- Voluntary Manslaughter – provocation leads to loss of life
- Involuntary Manslaughter – criminal negligence leads to loss of life
- Drug Possession – In California, it is illegal to possess controlled substances, such as cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and peyote. It is also illegal to possess prescription medications without a proper prescription.
- Drug Distribution – Possession of a controlled substance with the intent to sell it is a crime in California.
- DUI Cases – Driving a car, truck, motorcycle or scooter while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is illegal in California.
- Robbery – In order for the prosecution to prove a robbery, they must prove that a person used force or threats to take property that did not belong to them from another person with the intent to keep the property or deprive them of it.
- Assault – Assault is a crime relating to an unlawful attempt or threat to cause injury to another person with the present ability to do so.
- Battery – Battery is the crime of touching someone in a harmful or offensive manner.
If you or a loved one has been charged with any crime, please call the Law Offices of Benjamin J. Cheeks at (619) 995-7828 to discuss your case.